Monday, December 15, 2008


The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
He fulfills the desire of all who fear him;
he also hears their cry, and saves them.
Psalm 145.18-19

There was this day I experienced about 6 years ago. It was during a time of unbelievable stress. Steve and I had moved to a new town in Florida. We were learning to live with heart disease. The girls were in a new school. There were financial issues to handle. And the list could go on and on.

On this one day in particular, I had driven from our new home in Bradenton back up to Clearwater to go to the dentist. On my way home I was feeling unbelievably overwhelmed. I was at the end of my rope and it seemed these struggles would never end. I was just about to cross the skyway bridge and I remember telling the Lord, "I just can't handle it anymore. I can't go on like this. I don't want to die, but I can't go on." It was one of the most desperate feelings I had ever experienced.

So, freaky thing happened. I flipped on the radio and happened upon a radio preacher (something I don't normally do). The preacher said my words right back to me - verbatim. He said, "if you are at the end of your rope and you just can't handle it anymore, and you can't go on.......that's where God can use you..." He went on to say a bunch of other stuff, but what I remember is pulling off the road at the fishing pier because my tears prevented me from seeing. God was real. He heard my cry. He met me where I was. He heard my cry and saved me. That day is burned into my memory. I went from feeling totally alone to knowing I wasn't alone at all.

Advent Action: Reminisce in your mind about a time when God was there for you and heard your cry. If you haven't experienced that, begin to pray that God would show you his face.

1 comment:

*Austin Mommy* said...

Chills.

See, these are the things I am talking about - clearly not a coincidence. God heard you, and even repeated your words right back to you in His response.

Amazing!

It is amazing how we humans can be so easy to doubt after experiences such as this, isn't it? But...we do...and that's okay.

Oh, and thanks for being there for me today. :)