Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent Entry, Monday, December 8th

Sacred Space
When John the Baptist heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?" (Matthew 11:2-11). There is real comfort in this story. John the Baptist, the powerful, austere man who held such a sway among the Jews, still had his moments of darkness. Imprisoned in Herod's dungeon, he wondered, "Am I a fool? Is this all there is? Was I wrong about Jesus?" He does not just brood on the question. He sends messengers to Jesus. Jesus does not send back reassurances; he just asks the messengers to open their eyes and see the evidence of Jesus' life.

Lord, in my moments of doubt and darkness, may I fill my eyes with you. Are you the one, Lord? I am staking my life on it. I am not waiting for anyone else. Politicians, gurus and celebrities come and go, with promises and new solutions, but I am sticking with you. You show me how to make this world better, by tackling suffering and sickness, and reaching out to the unfortunate. In my doubts and difficulties I fill my eyes with the sight of you, your person and your works.

Advent Action: As we walk with God and pay attention, our faith grows. Take some time to write three examples of God's faithfulness to you.

No comments: