Sunday, July 5, 2009

Back to normal...kind of

We got back from Canada yesterday. I have laundry to do, a fridge to clean out, clothes to put away, groceries to buy...I should be tackling the 'to do' list. It looms over me. I just can't seem to get out of my red chair. This is 'my chair.' It sits in my kitchen. It's been a good chair. I never thought of having a comfortable chair in the kitchen until this chair was displaced and I couldn't bring myself to part with it. This chair is home to me. It's where I sit to wake up in the morning. It's where I have my devotions. It's where I land when I arrive at home. It's where I pray. It's where I drink my coffee (hot & iced). It's where I fb. It's where I make lists. It's where I procrastinate. It's where I cry. It's where God often meets me. It's where I talk on the phone. It's where I read. I love my chair, just so you know:) Is that normal? Do most people have a 'place' they like to be? I guess it's probably pretty 'western' of me. If I lived in a place where comfortable chairs didn't exist, this would be a non-issue, right? Who knows? Random, I know...

At New Hope today we began to talk about the Lord's Prayer. I don't know about you, but for me it was a breath of fresh air. We talked about the first few lines.

"Our" says to me that God is not my pop machine. I don't just come to him and get MY needs met. "Our" includes all created things - the people I encountered at the rest stop yesterday - the beaver I watched all week at the lake. "Our"

"Father" - daddy. As comfortable and safe as my red chair. "Father"

"In the Heavens" - closer than my own breath, AWESOME, & in control. This Father is worthy of our dependance. "In the Heavens"

"Hallowed be Thy name" - help my to hallow You, to bring honor to your name. Help me to follow the way of Jesus. To love when it is hard/impossible to love. "Hallowed by Thy name"

What a privilege it is to dwell on these things.

No comments: