Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's Been A Week


So, it's been a week since our Ash Wednesday Gathering. We had a great time together. Here are some of the comments I received:

"Tonight's gathering was very meaningful to me..."

"I love watching people come together like that."

"Loved the aroma of incense, sound of emotion, hammering interrupting the soft, sweet music..."

"Was very powerful and meaningful to me and I'm sure others as well."

"...(the) gathering was very moving, indeed."

"...cool night..."

We are one week into Lent. How is it going? However it's going, I encourage you to remember the season. Sometimes when I start some kind of change in behavior for the positive and fail shortly thereafter, I have a tendency to put off starting again. I think we miss out when we do that.

This is a year of discovery for me. This year I have decided NOT to fast anything. Instead I've decided to add. I have chosen to face some of my doubts - both named and unnamed - and attempt to focus on God. I want to discover who he is, REALLY. I've lived much of my life with my own view of him and in recent days have seen how lacking my view is. I know I will never understand him - who wants a god that can be totally understood? But I do believe that God desires to be known. So I'm spending my time talking to him, writing about him, drawing to him, reading about him.

I've started two books that I am really enjoying. The first is "The Reason for God," by Tim Keller. The second is "The Church of 80% Sincerity," by David Roche. One is a New York City Pastor; the other is a humorist. It's too early for me to endorse either one; however, I have begun learning from each. You can get a feel for David here:

">

And Tim here:

">

No comments: