Thursday, January 29, 2009

Magic Friendship Serum


Wouldn't it be nice if there was just a special, magic friendship serum the you could put on someone and turn them into the answer to all your relational needs? It would be so much simpler than what ACTUALLY has to take place in order for friendship to happen.

I would love that. Then I wouldn't have to spend time praying about who God is leading me to. I wouldn't have to put myself out there and ask someone to have a cup of coffee with me. I wouldn't have to order my life to make time for others. I wouldn't have to get over the relational hurts of my past and give it another shot. And that social event that I'd really rather skip, but I know friendships just might happen? Yep, I could skip that too. And I wouldn't have to apologize when I hurt someone I love. I could just go on with my merry day.

Too bad that's just not the way it works. There is an inescapable intentionality to friendships and Biblical community. If I know someone is longing for friendship...along with offering it of myself, I point them toward seeking where God wants them to connect. I point them toward ordering their life in such a way that friendship is possible. And I point them toward taking an intentional approach that means we not only open ourselves up to relationships, but we sometimes have to step out of our comfort zones to find it.

One thing I know for sure, the intentionality is worth it. There is nothing like a friendship of two people who are on a similar path helping each other become who God created them to be and bringing out the best in each other.

So here's my question...How do you pursue friendship? How would you help someone find the relational connections they crave?

No comments: